You are here
David M Labiner, MD
Dr. Labiner is Professor and Head of the Department of Neurology at The University of Arizona College of Medicine, and a Professor of Pharmacy Practice and Science at The University of Arizona College of Pharmacy, both divisions of The University of Arizona Health Sciences Center in Tucson. He received his MD from and completed his internship at the Medical College of Georgia. He completed a residency with the Department of Neurology at Columbia University in New York and a fellowship at Duke University. He is the President of the National Association of Epilepsy Centers, as well as a member of the Board of Directors of the Epilepsy Foundation of America and the American Epilepsy Society.
Dr. Labiner is certified in:
- Neurology by the American Board of Psychiatry and Neurology
- Epilepsy by the American Board of Psychiatry and Neurology
- Sprissler R, Bina R, Kasoff W, Witte MH, Bernas M, Walter C, Labiner DM, Lau B, Hammer MF, Weinand ME. Leukocyte expression profiles reveal gene sets with prognostic value for seizure-free outcome following stereotactic laser amygdalohippocampotomy. Sci Rep. 2019 Jan 31;9(1):1086. doi: 10.1038/s41598-018-37763-5.
- Ip Q, Malone DC, Chong J, Harris RB, Labiner DM. Economic impact of epilepsy and the cost of nonadherence to antiepileptic drugs in older Medicare beneficiaries. Epilepsy Behav. 2018 Mar;80:208-214. doi: 10.1016/j.yebeh.2018.01.009. Epub 2018 Feb 3.
- Joyce NR, Fishman J, Green S, Labiner DM, Wild I, Grabowski DC. Cost sharing for antiepileptic drugs: medication utilization and health plan costs. Am J Manag Care. 2018 Jun 1;24(6):e183-e189.
- Ip Q, Malone DC, Chong J, Harris RB, Labiner DM. An update on the prevalence and incidence of epilepsy among older adults. Epilepsy Res. 2018 Jan;139:107-112. doi: 10.1016/j.eplepsyres.2017.11.022. Epub 2017 Dec 5.
- Shih JJ, Fountain NB, Herman ST, Bagic A, Lado F, Arnold S, Zupanc ML, Riker E, Labiner DM. Indications and methodology for video-electroencephalographic studies in the epilepsy monitoring unit. Epilepsia. 2018 Jan;59(1):27-36. doi: 10.1111/epi.13938. Epub 2017 Nov 10. Review.
- McCallum AP, Gallek MJ, Ramey W, Manziello A, Witte MH, Bernas MJ, Labiner DM, Weinand ME. Cortical gene expression correlates of temporal lobe epileptogenicity. Pathophysiology. 2016 Sep;23(3):181-90. doi: 10.1016/j.pathophys.2016.05.006. Epub 2016 May 28.
- Gallek MJ, Skoch J, Ansay T, Behbahani M, Mount D, Manziello A, Witte M, Bernas M, Labiner DM, Weinand ME. Cortical gene expression: prognostic value for seizure outcome following temporal lobectomy and amygdalohippocampectomy. Neurogenetics. 2016 Oct;17(4):211-218. Epub 2016 Jun 2.
- Sleeth C, Drake K, Labiner DM, Chong J. Felt and enacted stigma in elderly persons with epilepsy: A qualitative approach. Epilepsy Behav. 2016 Feb;55:108-12. doi: 10.1016/j.yebeh.2015.12.026. Epub 2016 Jan 13.
- Labiner DM. William A. Sibley, MD (1925–2015). Neurology. 2015 Sep 22;85(12):1016. No abstract available.
- Kaiboriboon K, Malkhachroum AM, Zrik A, Daif A, Schiltz NM, Labiner DM, Lhatoo SD. Epilepsy surgery in the United States: Analysis of data from the National Association of Epilepsy Centers. Epilepsy Res. 2015 Oct;116:105-9. doi: 10.1016/j.eplepsyres.2015.07.007. Epub 2015 Jul 26.
- Tang DH, Malone DC, Warholak TL, Chong J, Armstrong EP, Slack MK, Hsu CH, Labiner DM. Prevalence and Incidence of Epilepsy in an Elderly and Low-Income Population in the United States. J Clin Neurol. 2015 Jul;11(3):252-61. doi: 10.3988/jcn.2015.11.3.252. Epub 2015 May 28
- Denski KM, Labiner DM. Should I offer vagus nerve stimulation as part of my neurology practice? Neurol Clin Pract. 2014 Aug;4(4):313-318. doi: 10.1212/CPJ.0000000000000048.
- Sim Y, Nokes B, Byreddy S, Chong J, Coull BM, Labiner DM. Healthcare utilization of patients with epilepsy in Yuma County, Arizona: Do disparities exist? Epilepsy Behav. 2014;31:307–311.
- Nokes B, Sim Y, Gibson B, Byreddy S, Labiner DM, Coull B, Chong J. Assessment of Stroke Risk in Southern Arizona, the Pairing of Acculturation and Stroke Risk Factor Development. J. Immigr. Minor. Health Cent. Minor. Public Health. 2013;
- Chong J, Hesdorffer DC, Thurman DJ, Lopez D, Harris RB, Hauser WA, Labiner ET, Velarde A, Labiner DM. The prevalence of epilepsy along the Arizona-Mexico border. Epilepsy Res. 2013;105:206–215.
- Labiner DM, Drake KW. Formularies, costs, and quality of care: Formulary restrictions are not the answer, especially for epilepsy. Neurol. Clin. Pract. 2013;3:71–74.
- Helmers SL, Begnaud J, Cowley A, Corwin HM, Edwards JC, Holder DL, Kostov H, Larsson PG, Levisohn PM, De Menezes MS, Stefan H, Labiner DM. Application of a computational model of vagus nerve stimulation. Acta Neurol. Scand. 2012;126:336–343.
- Kleinman NL, Sadosky A, Seid J, Martin RC, Labiner DM. Costs, work absence, and adherence in patients with partial onset seizures prescribed gabapentin or pregabalin. Epilepsy Res. 2012;102:13–22.
- Bateman LM, Begley CE, Ben-Menachem E, Berg AT, Berkovic SF, Cascino GD, Drazkowski J, Edwards JC, Engel J, French JA, Gilliam FD, Hoerth MT, Jehi LE, Kanner AM, Krauss GL, Labiner DM, Loddenkemper T, Luders HO, McKhann GM, McLachlan R, Modi A, Pennell PB, Shafer PO, Sirven JI, Stern JM, Szaflarski JP, Theodore WH. Overcoming barriers to successful epilepsy management. Epilepsy Curr. Am. Epilepsy Soc. 2012;12:158–160.
- Chong J, Drake K, Atkinson PB, Ouellette E, Labiner DM. Social and family characteristics of Hispanics with epilepsy. Seizure J. Br. Epilepsy Assoc. 2012;21:12–16.
- Stern JM, Labiner DM, Gilliam FG, Penovich PE, Onofrey M, Eagan CA, Holmes GL. More effective assessment of adverse effects and comorbidities in epilepsy: results of a Phase II communication study. Epilepsy Behav. EB. 2011;22:552–556.
- Ouellette E, Chong J, Drake K, Labiner DM. Emergency department care of seizure patients: demographic trends in southern Arizona. Epilepsy Behav. EB. 2011;21:382–386.