You are here
Alfred W Kaszniak, PhD
Dr. Kaszniak is Professor of Psychology, Neurolgy, and Psychiatry and is currently Director of the Arizona Alzheimer’s Consortium Education Core, Director of the Neuropsychology, Emotion, and Meditation Laboratory, Faculty and Advisory Board member of the Evelyn F. McKnight Brain Institute. He is the co-author or editor of seven books, including the three-volume Toward a Science of Consciousness (MIT Press), and Emotions, Qualia, and Consciousness (World Scientific). His research, published in over 155 journal articles and scholarly book chapters, has been supported by grants from the U.S. National Institute on Aging, National Institute of Mental Health, and National Science Foundation, as well as several private foundations and institutes. His work has focused on the neuropsychology of Alzheimer’s disease and other age-related neurological disorders, cognition and emotion in healthy aging, consciousness, memory self-monitoring, emotion, and the psychophysiology of long-term and short-term meditation.
- O’Connor M-F, Arizmendi BJ, Kaszniak AW. Virtually supportive: A feasibility pilot study of an online support group for dementia caregivers in a 3D virtual environment. J. Aging Stud. 2014;30:87–93.
- Rushton CH, Kaszniak AW, Halifax JS. Addressing moral distress: application of a framework to palliative care practice. J. Palliat. Med. 2013;16:1080–1088.
- Burns CM, Chen K, Kaszniak AW, Lee W, Alexander GE, Bandy D, Fleisher AS, Caselli RJ, Reiman EM. Higher serum glucose levels are associated with cerebral hypometabolism in Alzheimer regions. Neurology. 2013;80:1557–1564.
- Kaszniak AW, Menchola M. Behavioral neuroscience of emotion in aging. Curr. Top. Behav. Neurosci. 2012;10:51–66.
- Langbaum JBS, Chen K, Caselli RJ, Lee W, Reschke C, Bandy D, Alexander GE, Burns CM, Kaszniak AW, Reeder SA, Corneveaux JJ, Allen AN, Pruzin J, Huentelman MJ, Fleisher AS, Reiman EM. Hypometabolism in Alzheimer-affected brain regions in cognitively healthy Latino individuals carrying the apolipoprotein E epsilon4 allele. Arch. Neurol. 2010;67:462–468.
- Drag LL, Bieliauskas LA, Kaszniak AW, Bohnen NI, Glisky EL. Source memory and frontal functioning in Parkinson’s disease. J. Int. Neuropsychol. Soc. JINS. 2009;15:399–406.
- Milman LH, Holland A, Kaszniak AW, D’Agostino J, Garrett M, Rapcsak S. Initial validity and reliability of the SCCAN: using tailored testing to assess adult cognition and communication. J. Speech Lang. Hear. Res. JSLHR. 2008;51:49–69.
- Burton KW, Kaszniak AW. Emotional experience and facial expression in Alzheimer’s disease. Neuropsychol. Dev. Cogn. B Aging Neuropsychol. Cogn. 2006;13:636–651.
- Nielsen L, Kaszniak AW. Awareness of subtle emotional feelings: a comparison of long-term meditators and nonmeditators. Emot. Wash. DC. 2006;6:392–405.
- Pannu JK, Kaszniak AW, Rapcsak SZ. Metamemory for faces following frontal lobe damage. J. Int. Neuropsychol. Soc. JINS. 2005;11:668–676.